Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros & Cons of Hanging Storage Racks

Saferacks, Hyloft, Strong Racks, & Topp Rax


This article will save you time looking for overhead storage shelving with this pros and cons of various brands. For me the storage & organization department of the hardware store always gets a peek. I get pumped up about shelving … strange, I realize. I enjoy taking time studying the materials, evaluating the anchors and brackets, and appreciating the creative models. Your enthusiasm probably lays with something else, so allow me to expedite your researching efforts by summarizing my findings for you.

I have tried to mention something good and bad about each manufacturer. However, I am disclosing at this point that I sell the Topp Rax brand through my ecommerce site, so my opinions are unavoidably partial plus I have the most knowledge about this brand. I would be glad to sell any of these brands on my website if I were able. It's in my best interest to supply many options to my site's visitors, to allow them to purchase the rack that has the features that are most important to them. Disclaimer aside, let's evaluate a number of the major brands.


Saferacks has many inspiring images on their site and they also have accessories to go onto their racks. Overall, this is an excellent buy and it’s easy to get one at a terrific price because they can be bought at CostCo. Saferacks are also sold under the MonsterRAX brand. The company sells an excellent assortment of sizes between 4/6/8 feet wide and 2/3/4 feet deep. These choices are great because not everyone needs a 4x8 rack. I praise their use of C-channel framing and cross tie supports. My only issue is that certain cross ties are smaller since they're meant to support only the decking. Which means the design has a weak point on the outside frame. What's more, I find it funny their site uses pictures of families hanging from the rack to show how safe their product is even though the instructions very clearly state “Do not climb on or hang from the storage rack.”


Hyloft is designed with a minimal design that make the shelf less costly. The drawback is that it isn't as sturdy as different brands. The cross tie supports and vertical brackets are minimal. I would find it difficult trusting this rack not to fall once it is loaded with my belongings. However, if I were storing merely light-weight items, this would work well. Note that the lack of ceiling brackets that span multiple ceiling beam may limit your options for orientation and location. I admire how inexpensive their 4x4 rack is and would consider that for small storage needs which are not above a regularly trafficked path.



Strong Racks is built with the reverse approach. This shelf is almost overbuilt. The Strong Racks website has a nice ‘Checklist Challenge’ video that covers the details. For example, the mounting tracks are 11 gauge steel where 14 gauge is typical in other products. The verticals are square tube steel as opposed to regular angled steel. Their product utilizes more nuts and bolts as compared to any other rack. Expect to spend a lot of the installation time tightening these fasteners. I appreciate the ridge along the edge of their framing. It keeps you from unintentionally pushing stuff over the back of the shelf. This also relieves worry about my boxes sliding over the side.



Topp Rax displays their solid design in a ‘Compare Racks’ video that features a stomp test on various brands. You can see how solid this rack is when the guy in the video shakes the side of each rack. I enjoy watching the competitor's racks bend when he walks and bounces on the outside frames. Yet the Topp Rax framing stands up because of the additional cross ties that reinforce the frame. The decking is correctly supported on all four sides by the framing, too. The problem with Topp Rax is that it isn't a low cost product. If you live near a big box hardware store, you can find sufficiently sturdy racks at a better price. One more bad thing is that online it is only available in 4x8 size.

Learn how to declutter your garage using my personal step-by-step approach and shop for garage storage solutions at www.MaximizeGarageStorage.com.


2 comments:

  1. Have you ever looked at Tuffrax?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive that you actually declare that you sell Topp Rax but other products are "sufficiently sturdy." Nice honesty there.

    ReplyDelete